Friday, April 20, 2007

Visit To The Puppies

I couple weeks ago, I visited a local dog breeder and put a deposit on two female chihuahua puppies. I had been on the puppy hunt since Phoebe passed away in February and was happy to have found someone local who had puppies for sale. She had puppies ready to go but I wasn't ready for them - I plan to take a week off from work to start housetraining the puppies and I couldn't do that two weeks ago. So, I asked to see the puppies that were only about two weeks old. She had a litter of long haired chihuahuas that were two weeks old that day and she had a litter of short haired chihuahuas that were a week and 5 days old. I chose a long haired black, white and brown female and a short haired black, white and brown female.

Basically I did what all the books I've read said not to do. The books say I'm supposed to watch the littermates play and pick the ones that appeal to me, but these puppies were too young to play. They barely had an eye open. But I think they will be ok. My first visit to see them was last week and they were just a bit more lively, but still slept a lot. Today, I visited them again and they are bigger and more active. They still slept and the short haired one was a little chilly. But they kissed me and my dad who was with me and the long haired one rolled over on her back.

I'm hoping to visit them each week until I can take them home. This seller allows them to be taken home as early as 6 weeks if they are eating and drinking well and getting along well (Most books say 8 weeks). But she did have one smaller chihuahua who would max out at about 2 1/2 pounds that she didn't even advertise until 10 weeks because at 6 weeks the puppy still didn't have any teeth. So, I think the seller evaluates each puppy and decides when they can be taken home. Right now, the expected take home time is when they are about 7 weeks old. The longhaired one will be 7 and the short haired one will be 6 weeks, 5 days. Unless she lets me take them home earlier. They will be with each other and they will be able to interact with my other two dogs eventually so I don't think they are going to suffer any harm from being removed from their littermates a week early. It won't be as if they will be going into one-dog households.

No comments: